Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Parenting Books and the Scriptures

I love it when I get to gab... I'm naturally a talker (it runs in the family) -- and that's mostly only fun when there's someone listening to my bla-bla-blahs.

Today, my neighbor and friend, Regina, called asking about homeschooling. And she was a great listener -- I talked for 40 minutes!

One reason I like to talk is because I'm often surprised by how my tongue takes my thoughts and puts them into words.

I heard myself throw out the following:

"I have been reading parenting books since my oldest child was born. I feel like I didn't really grow and learn from them much, though, until I also made time to read the Scriptures. It's kinda like my 'innards' (excuse the redneck word) are a bunch of gears, and I've been wanting to figure out how to make myself run like a well-oiled machine. The parenting books were great info about which gear does what, and ideas of which screw might need tightening or which belt might need to be replaced. The Scriptures, though -- they have been the tools that help me actually accomplish the necessary changes. The parenting books provide instructions, and then the Scriptures provide the instruments to carry out the instructions."

I was simply narrating part of my life -- seeing the situation in my head and striving to verbalize how much the Scriptures have helped me feel like I'm not failing miserably as a mom.... In fact, quite the opposite -- any improvements I've been able to make in my mothering can be directly connected to the Scriptures and their power to change my "innards" -- the very core of my soul... because they lead me to my Savior! (Makes me think of this verse).

Somehow, my mouth was able to conjure up this explanation -- and I like it!

Thanks, Regina, for being willing to listen! I sure learned a lot! (I hope you did too and those forty minutes weren't wasted!)

No comments:

Post a Comment