Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Going green!

Although this post is entitled, "Going Green!" this is not a post about environmentalism...

I DO indeed care about our lovely earth!

The green I mean for today is pictured below:

I must say, this is far more appetizing to me than recycled plastic!

However, it is related to environmentalism in an analogy sort of way: I've figured out that my body's output can only be as good as the input. Makes sense, doesn't it? How can this marvelous machine make something great from only mediocre ingredients? And the same goes for our earth: it will only be as beautiful as the efforts we put into taking care of it.

This smoothie is very simple and very tasty. Just three ingredients and sixty seconds in the BlendTek and YUM!

Spinach
Frozen Banana 
Coconut milk from a can

Most recipe writers will include portions, or measurements if you will, which, as you can see, I have failed to do. I am not really a recipe writer, after all!

Just understand my purpose in choosing to go green (in terms of drinking smoothies)... I have never been a fan of salads, so this way I can drink my dark leafies along with some disguising flavors! So, when it comes to amounts, I base it on how much spinach I have on hand and how much I feel like I still need to include in today's diet, etc... Plus, somehow, it feels empowering to not have to follow exact proportions and still end up with a yummy treat that's good for me!

Generally speaking, it's a solid handful of spinach stuffed into the bottom of the blender; one and a half frozen bananas; about a third of a can of coconut milk (stir the contents of the whole can first).

Enjoy! BOTH the input AND the output!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! I love spinach. Sometimes I sneak it in my little one's banana chocolate milk (he doesn't mind) or whiz some up to make green pancakes or muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea -- and not just for St. Patty's day, right!? Makes me think of Green Eggs and Ham!
    And, while your comment indicates the following hint might not apply to you... I've heard a great idea to make a green smoothie that isn't green, in case little ones are turned off by the color: add frozen blueberries to the mix and the Purple might be more enticing!

    ReplyDelete