Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Books: they're not just for Bedtime!

My oldest child, when he was a toddler, was a bit afraid of books. He would be at Grama's house and she would offer to read to him.  He would get a look of horror on his face and defensively declare, "It's not bedtime!" 

This Clueless Mama had not yet figured out that reading to my children doesn't have to happen in the dark!!!

I'm proud to report that since then we have gradually increased the amount of reading in our home, and nowadays, I can confidently say that none of my children are afraid of books! When I declare Family Reading Time, all the kiddos are happy to come pile on the couch and read with me. I do voices and everything!

Sometimes, we read for a whole hour!

Sometimes, when it's time to stop reading because the rest of life has to happen, they whine.

That's really about the only time I am happy to hear a whine!

Honestly, I think this family habit is what has made my kiddos so stinkin' smart!!! (I'm not bragging or anything -- I'm well aware that every mom thinks their children are geniuses so just keep my comments in perspective).

Lately, when my three-year old is going about his business, making messes and what-not, and something doesn't quite go as he was picturing, and he ends up yelling and maybe even hitting -- some sort of behavior that gets him put in his room -- he'll ask for a book to help him calm down.

I think that's good policy! I'm glad he thinks of books as a support system, a relief technique, a cooling-off tool.

So, I've developed a new theme, short and sweet, to add to my repertoire of safe ways to deal with children:

When in doubt, READ!

No comments:

Post a Comment