Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

C.L.A.P. for 2 year olds: Loving Language

Note: Today's post is a continuation of yesterday's assignment of different words for the C.L.A.P. acronym based on the fact that two-year-olds are their own little species!

L is for Loving Language

My analogy today is so much like yesterday's, you might think that my children are named Fido, Spot, and Poochie. In reality, despite being rather clueless, I DO know the difference between toddlers and puppies.

My family had a short stint of being dog owners. In the 9 months that we attempted living compatibly with a dog, we were amazed at how much he could understand. He could follow several little commands! I sometimes wondered what he would be able to repeat back to us if his tongue were humanized...

If we wanted to take the dog to the groomers, we didn't use that word anywhere in his general vicinity or he would no longer be anywhere in the general vicinity. Instead, we acted all excited-like and tricked him into jumping into the van and off we went.
Silver won a gold medal!

Toddlers are like our canine friends in this way. They can understand long before they can repeat anything, and they are tuned in to our tone-of-voice.

I have to keep this in mind whenever my little ones are in earshot. No matter how much I feel like complaining to Daddy on the phone about their messes, I have to realize that whatever words come out of my mouth will frame their self-identity.

So I pledge to use loving language as much as humanly possible! It's not easy, but it's good exercise for my brain. "How can I phrase this so that my toddler recognizes it as a behavior that I don't want repeated, but that I still love him?"

One phrase I've used over and over, Rover, is "Oh, I can see that you're still learning to..."

  • use a tissue instead of your finger!
  • listen to your body and run to the potty!
  • clean up one toy before getting out another!
  • touch the baby gently -- soft, soft!
Well, although I've been describing the similarities between dogs and children, the fact is, children are infinitely cuter (at least, mine are -- I guess I should speak for myself). They have far more potential than any puppy. Generally speaking, they smell better, too.

And they do eventually start repeating back whatever I've been saying to them all along. When my three-year-old holds my cheeks in his hands and rubs noses with me and says, "I love you, Mommy," I give my clueless self a pat on the back... I must be doing something right!



5 comments:

  1. I have noticed how puppies and toddlers are alike too. They are both so full of energy and learning new things every day. :) Thanks for doing some posts about 2 year olds! I am trying to help mine recognize feelings and being/doing good makes everyone happy...someday he'll catch on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tina Beana! You're right -- someday he WILL catch on... I find the repetitiveness of motherhood to be one of its greatest challenges. And yet, I also find it to be a comfort, really, since I can just repeat myself, over and over, and not always have to come up with a new way to handle things! I think my kiddos find security in knowing that Mama is going to react similarly and it helps them figure out the world. So keep on keepin' on! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of our family sayings is "When we eat, we remain in our SEAT!" I like using we instead of you when correcting a behavior because they should know that we all are subject to the same rules. I like your rhyming mantras too! Please give more! Thanks for the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last comment was me, Amy Roskelley. I don't know why it didn't post that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Amy, I love your comment! Honestly, I'm hoping that everyone who visits my blog will input their wisdom and this Clueless Mama will just get smarter and smarter! Using "we" is aWEsome -- such good insight! I'll have to start writing down the rhyming mantras because sometimes I just throw 'em out to catch a child's attention but then forget about it later...
    Oh, and THANKS again for posting about me on facebook! ;)

    ReplyDelete