Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Swimmin'

We are blessed with a wonderful neighbor who lets us know when her family will be swimming, and invites us to join in the fun.

My kids LOVE to hear the announcement that I received a text from the Larsens... and they hurry and get their "stuff" done so they'll qualify to go jump in the cool chlorine!

I personally don't take too well to the chemicals, so I sit on the patio chairs nearby, nursing the baby who's sacrificing her afternoon nap for the sake of everyone else's well-earned fun.

I enjoy watching the kiddos splashing and "diving" (actually, belly-flopping) and learning to duck their heads under and then come back up for air. I can see them wanting to stretch themselves a little, challenge themselves to do something a little more risky than last time. I celebrate with them when they tell me how far they can "swim." That's in quotation marks because I don't think any professionals would use that word to describe my children's efforts to not drown.

What's important to me -- the purpose of this post -- is that my children are experiencing a unique mixture of ingredients that will lead to delicious self-satisfaction every time...

First and foremost, they are setting their own goals -- and they are excited about it. They WANT to get better at this crazy notion of sticking their heads under water and flailing their limbs for dear life. I'm not in the pool giving pointers or even coaching from the concrete. Self-motivation... rare these days!

Neck-and-neck vying for first place is that they are HAVING FUN while they are challenging themselves. WOW!!! They are enjoying the cool water amidst the hot air and even hotter cement. They easily ignore splashing from fellow swimmers. They are not focused on any of the possible drawbacks or obstacles but accept them as part of the package deal and just keep swimming... (thanks, Dory).

And another element that is interesting to note is their willingness to keep taking risks. Hooray for them! Fear is not the driving emotion in their decision making.

I have a lot to learn from them...

1 comment:

  1. MOM! That's rude, that part about how we don't really swim, just try not to drown. Well, I am on your blog, snooping... so I forgive you!

    ReplyDelete