Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Taking Care of his Teeth

Today, I was surprised when my twelve-year-old son declined when he was offered a piece of taffy. I decided to ask why he didn't want it, and he said, "Taffy is really bad for my teeth."

I felt a swell of maternal pride in having a son who was willing to take precautionary measures for the sake of our dental bills... and I told him so!

"Oh, TJ, it's great that you want to take care of your teeth!"

His response tempered my pride: "No, Mom, it's just that I don't wanna brush my teeth, so I avoid things like taffy that get stuck in them."

Hmmmmm.

Someday, hopefully soon, he'll discover that girls like breath that smells like freshly-brushed-teeth and that will motivate him in a way that apparently I haven't been able to.

In the meantime, thank goodness he stays away from taffy. It does show some degree of maturity in the forethought and sacrifice, right?

This is quite the illustration to me of the "line-upon-line" concept. I've determined that I'll be patient with his learning curve. I'll pray that he'll learn the next line while he still has teeth to brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment