Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Bad Boy in Esther's class

I used to homeschool my children -- all of them. Nowadays, I have one official homeschooler and two little ones who are learning every moment they are at home (and anywhere else, for that matter).

I have LOADS of reasons to homeschool! When I was a college student and I was introduced to the concept of homeschooling, the first thing that came to mind was: "Oooohh! I wish I could have been homeschooled!"

It sounded so great -- to be able to use my time according to my own interests and not have to play the "game" of figuring out what the teacher wanted and trying to meet those requirements rather than trying to get educated.

And, surprise, surprise, I struggled in the social area.

For the first six miserable years of my public schooling, I was the nerd. After that, I somehow broke out of my shell and learned to smile and enjoy some of what public school had to offer in the area of social life... I even got voted onto the homecoming court my senior year.

So, I can't say the social reasons are my biggest reasons to choose homeschooling, but they are definitely counted among them.

When my oldest child, who has an October birthday -- which translates into being the oldest in the class, was already reading before he even started kindergarten, I thought, "Hey! I'll give him the gift I never had: the gift of not having to deal with all the drama at school."

No homework (although some could argue that all of homeschool is homework); no tests; no grading; no kids to bully you...

Well, for a variety of reasons, which I won't list here, that oldest son (plus my twin daughters) are now in public school. Maybe they'll decide to homeschool again... maybe not. At this point, I'm leaving it up to them.

Every once in a while, they'll describe some situation going on at school, and I try really hard to figure out how to interject into the conversation something along the lines of: "Hmmmm, I wonder if we ever had a similar situation when we homeschooled. Hmmmm..."

One of the recent issues Esther has discussed with me is the bad boy in her class. The teacher has been losing her patience with him lately, particularly about how he doesn't ever do his homework. She threatened that he would have to miss recess if he doesn't start bringing back worksheets.

Of course, I'm not there having to deal with him day in and day out. I think that is the main reason I was able to have the imaginary response as follows:

Compassion towards the boy, who must be the victim of apathetic parents.

Sincere concern about his future and deep ponderings about how to help him move past the obstacle of an undesirable home life.

Calm replies to his claims of having not done the homework, and encouragement and motivation to put in the extra effort, even if it means missing recess.

It's so easy for me to conjure up such happy images, because I am not an underpaid, overworked teacher having to handle not just the bad boy, but twenty-eight other children as well, five days a week.

I sometimes wish I could homeschool that bad boy! Give him the gift that I always wanted, and that I hope three of my children will soon figure out they want as well.

2 comments:

  1. Why do you think that he has apathetic parents? Why is he being labeled a "bad boy?" Why do you think he has an undesirable home life? I have a brilliant young man who has ADD. We have struggled for years with trying to get him to do his homework and remember to take it to school and turn it in. I would be angry and appalled to know that there are parents and teachers who would judge our lives and deem them "undesirable."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're stating what I was trying to say... That he's not necessarily a bad boy at all, he's just getting a bad reaction from his teacher (and the class -- including my daughter -- clues in to that and in subtle and not-so-subtle ways, add to it). So yes, Kathy, who knows what's really going on?!? Is it a matter of ADD? And would he thrive under other conditions? There's a very good chance of that. None of us are hardwired to fail, but many of us struggle with the particular circumstances, and if we were allowed to change the wiring, so-to-speak, of our circumstances, wow!!! Sparks would fly in the RIGHT way!!!
      I highly recommend the book Animal School from RaisingSmallSouls.com -- it is an incredible metaphor that makes this sort of thing much more clear than my mere attempt at blogging about it can do.

      Delete