Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

'Twas the Night Before School Started...

We homeschooled for so many years... (nostalgic sigh)... and one of the joys we celebrated was not having to worry about all the school-starting-hooplah.  We would go to a park and have a "Not-back-to-school" party and picnic with all the other homeschool families.

This year, though, my oldest is preparing to boldy go where no child should ever have to go: Junior High.

I must say how impressed I am with him! He picked out his classes -- surely a nice bonus cross-over from homeschool life. He mapped out where they are. He compiled a backpack full of necessities. He asked me to iron his shirt. He shaved.

My daughters and I headed over to their school for Back-to-School Night. They are twins, but school policy mandates that they be in separate classes. They handle this requirement with greater grace than I do. Luckily, the teachers are in sync and most likely it will be smooth-sailing in terms of keeping track of all the homework.

I'm thrilled to still have one full-time homeschooler! My almost-eleven-year-old and I are planning lots of fun field trips... He's going to help me when I take my turn to teach the neighborhood Joy School. He'll get lots of time to read (his favorite thing to do and undoubtedly the reason he's so smart). And we'll enjoy Power Hour on a more one-on-one level (though we don't forget about the little kiddos). He's been patient while we get everyone else ready, and hasn't worried that I bought new clothes for the other kids but not him (yet)...

Maybe that's what we'll do tomorrow after we've whisked the others out the door with a smile! Head to the store and do some Not-back-to-school shopping!

I'm excited for all of my children. I don't miss first-days-of-school-drama from my own childhood, but I think it's different for them. And I think they'll knock their own socks off with their success!

No comments:

Post a Comment