Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Right Nearby

So, we went to the cabin this past week (hence the lack of posts).

We're pretty much unplugged up there in terms of 21st century technology. There's a VHS/DVD player that we make use of, and cell phone reception (though mine isn't smart, so no internet)...

 Overall, it's like a whole different life! Slower, simpler... and just us and the spiders and squirrels (with the occasional deer and moose). No errands to run, fewer chores to crack the whip about, pretty much zero schedule...

 Well, now we're home and settling back in, noticing the pros and cons between the two different lifestyles. 

Something that I'm enjoying that seems to be enhanced by our week away together is that my children like to be near me. Right now, as I catch up on emails and as I'm typing this post, my two littlest ones are keeping in close proximity. The baby climbs up on my lap now and then to nurse; the three year old asks me to "Look what I can do!" as he perfects some bodily contortion. Overall, though, they are content to play -- sometimes with each other, but mostly in their own little world -- as long as they have Mom in sight.

 That's what it means to me to have a happy family. We might not always be interacting and playing together, but we like to be in the same vicinity. We like to look up from whatever's keeping us busy and see each other's familiar faces. We have our own agendas, but they include keeping an eye on one another, watching out for each other's safety. We encourage each other and ask for help as necessary, knowing someone who loves us is nearby and willing to at least try to help us solve our problems.

 I'm feeling so blessed to become aware of this element of "happy family." I feel like my week at the cabin helped my vision of a happy family get a little clearer, sharper, and in focus!

 Dear family, I love us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment