Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

"You don't always listen to me, Mom"

My three-year-old was being his precious self, wanting to be nearby as his baby sister was nursing, and wanting to have some kind of connection, too. He leaned over and gave her a kiss, and I was so inspired, I leaned over and gave him a kiss. It was a little circle of love.

Then he started talking, since all that mushiness couldn't last the whole nursing session. He was chatting about his gerbil and his friends and what he wants to do and...

I smiled at him, rather absently, mostly thinking about how adorable he is and how smart he is... and he caught me!

"So, then I go and ask someone else," he said. This part registered.

I responded: "Oh, instead of asking me?"

"Well, Mom, I try to ask you things but sometimes you don't know what I'm talking about."

I held back a giggle. He was right! And I was also happy that he didn't say that *I* don't know what I'm talking about.

Well, as cute as the moment was, I'll accept it also as a teaching moment... that if my 3-year-old knows when things are going in one of my ears and out the other, then for sure my other kids can tell, too.

I pledge to listen better, give better answers to my children's questions, and not just be there physically, but mentally, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment