Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Yet Another Kitchen Principle

Today's kitchen principle is closely related to the first one, eat what you store and store what you eat. Today's principle broadens that concept to include fresh produce. It is:

Use up what needs to be used up!

So, let's say it's that lovely time of day when I'm deciding what to make for dinner. Before I discovered the value of a principle-based kitchen, I would randomly choose a vegetable, like frozen peas, just 'cuz it sounds good and easy. Then, a week or two later, I would be throwing away nasty produce from the fridge drawer that I had purchased because I knew I should but now it was wasted.

Nowadays, though, based on my "Use up what needs to be used up" principle, when it comes to that magical moment of decision-making, I remind myself to open the fridge and find the veggies that my conscience led me to buying. And now I rarely have to waste fresh produce -- but if I do, at least I have a compost pile so it doesn't feel half as bad.

This also applies to expiration dates on canned items. I try to have a system to help me (I'm great at making up systems -- it's the USING of the systems that I humbly confess my inaptitude). Since I don't always follow my own system, I still end up rummaging through the pantry to check dates, but I feel like it's worth my time to avoid wasting things.

Leftovers are another "use-it-up" item. I'm pretty good at mentally keeping track of when we had which meal and when those leftovers need to be used up. We generally have a leftovers-based meal once or twice a week. My sister-in-law taught me to call it "Feast Night" because the kids get to choose from a wide variety of offerings. I am blessed with a wonderful husband who has a great attitude about taking leftovers for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment