Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Green Eggnog

I. Love. Egg. Nog.

An illustration from when I was much younger:

A certain young man was trying to capture my heart. He knew of my love for eggnog and wanted me to re-aim that love towards him. He knew how I cried at the end of the holiday season -- only because that meant there would be no eggnog for another year.

He came over one day in June, bearing eggnog. In all my selfishness, I drank it down in front of him, making yumminess noises the whole time -- then I reiterated to him that we were still just friends.

We were both heartbroken -- me, because I was losing my off-season source of eggnog.

Anyways! Slight change of subject:

I am choosing to greatly decrease my intake of animal products. My name, Regan, is just one letter short of Vegan. That one letter, and the fact that it's pronounced differently, allows me to sneak a slice of cheese pizza every now and then. And drink eggnog when the stores make it available to me.

However, I have now created my own Vegan Eggnog recipe, so I am one step closer to being a purist... but don't worry, cheese pizza has a very strong hold on my appetite, so I won't go extreme too soon.

I actually like my Green Eggnog better than the old-fashioned stuff! It's not just egg-free, it's guilt-free, because the ingredients are so healthy. And my recipe is available all year round, although the Green-ness is a nice Holiday touch.

I know you are anxious to whip up your own, so carefully follow the instructions below. You know how important it is from my previous smoothie recipes to be exact!

Stuff spinach into the bottom of a blender. Pour in some almond milk. Add a few chunks of frozen banana. Dollop in some vanilla flavoring and little honey -- not too much, though. In fact, I've left out the honey sometimes and am still happy with the final product. Be generous when sprinkling in the nutmeg -- it takes more than you think to make it taste authentic! Use a little oil -- like Udos -- to make it emulsify nicely. Blend! Drink! Break some eggnog-maker's heart!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment