Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

What's a Tantrum to God?

My four year old is, well, let's say, precocious.

He comes up with some big plans sometimes, and sometimes I let him carry them out.

Sometimes, though, I can't.

The other day, early in the morning, Reed came to me with some of his big plans:

"Mom, Mom, Mom -- I just decided to have a picnic! Yeah! This will be awesome!"

"Oh, a picnic lunch! That does sound fun."

"No, Mom, not a picnic lunch... a picnic RIGHT NOW! Call Naomi and Abbie and Ellie and....."

"Reed, it's not even 8am. We can't call your friends because they are probably still asleep. Plus, we have to get ready for Joyschool!"

I further emphasize Joyschool in an attempt to distract him away from the fact that I'm raining on his parade, er, his picnic. It is an epic fail.

"Mom, I don't wanna go to Joyschool. I wanna have a PICNIC. In the FRONT yard. Right NOW."

I feel like he has added the detail about location to see just how far he can push. We don't play in the front yard without an adult... Stay calm, Mama...

"Reed, if you want a picnic right now, you may go eat your breakfast in the backyard. Hurry, so we can get it cleaned up and get your Great Eight done in time for Joyschool!"

His response to this: sobbing, screaming, throwing things, TANTRUM. I no longer want to use the word "precocious" to describe him... I want a stronger, less complimentary word. But I will choose to just weather the storm, and love him into calming down.

I think God must feel the same way with us sometimes! We come to him with our big plans. And because he can see the whole picture, he just might shoot us down. Ouch! And we just might yell back at Him that we WANT IT RIGHT NOW, just the way we are visualizing it.

He might be trying all the same tactics, explanations, diversions, gentle reminders of rules...

And we sob, scream, throw things...

And finally, we calm down as we sense that his foresight and his firmness are love, and we choose to trust that he knows best, rather than keep ramming ourselves up against him.

Thank goodness for his patience, his compassion, his example. May I seek his help as I attempt to give my children a similar love -- a love that allows for tantrums, and then welcomes back the whiner when he's ready to re-focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment