Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Great Eight!

About a year ago, I attended the funeral of a wonderful grandmotherly woman I knew from church. I had heard her tell stories about how fourteen of her grandchildren were all from just one of her children! I spelled that out for you so you wouldn't think it was a typo. Fourteen! All born of the same mother, no multiple births. WOW!

At one point, I had to take my baby out to the cry room. A young mother was sharing the room with me and I sparked up a conversation with her only to discover that she was the granddaughter of the deceased! I asked which of the children was her parent. Turns out she was of the famed-family-of-fourteen...

Now you're going to think I'm crazy -- but I'm not, I'm just Clueless and don't wanna be... But I decided to ask this young woman to come to my house and share with me the secrets of her mother. I was particularly interested to hear things from the perspective of the child because I feel like what "stuck" in the child's memories and habits would indicate what worked best!

She was so gracious and gave me her phone number and email address. I thought of interview questions and sent them to her in advance so she could ponder on them and confer with her mother if she wanted to. I didn't want to put her on the spot at all, and I was sure to let her know if she didn't want to answer certain questions, by all means, just plead the fifth!

She came over with her little one (she only has one so far!) and we sat and chatted and ate and laughed -- and I took notes!

A lot came of that conversation. One thing I'd like to share with you is "The Big Five." Basically, it's a list of morning-must-dos... Our family wanted to add in a couple specifics to help the morning go smoothly based on our needs, so we ended up with...

Drumroll, please....

The Great Eight!

  1. Tidy Bed and Bedroom
  2. Bathroom Business (shower, potty, etc)
  3. Fresh Clothes
  4. Neat Hair
  5. Personal Gospel Study
  6. Act of Service
  7. Family Devotional
  8. Breakfast
 We have this posted on the fridge with a dry-erase check-off chart for each person's name. It helps keep them moving with focus and direction so we don't end up with zombies moaning aimlessly around. I'm hoping it will ingrain good habits in them so that as they grow up and outgrow charts, they'll get their mornings off to a good start simply by rote.

Thanks so much to Katie Oaks for being willing to honor her mother by sharing such inspirational things with a stranger!


No comments:

Post a Comment