Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Eight years ago today...

Eight years have passed since I was told by my midwife that we'd better make the twins come. I had aimed to make it to 37 weeks -- prime time for twins -- so psychologically, I must have allowed my body to give up as this day marked 37 weeks exactly. Over the past few appointments, my blood pressure started to rise and the midwife had found an increased amount of protein in the lovely pee samples I so willingly gave.

The next day, she arrived at my home, broke my waters, and three hours later I was holding two babies in my arms. The second girl had even decided she wanted her feet to be the first thing to arrive... All in all, it was a beautiful homebirth experience.

It took me several years to want to have another baby. My body was getting older, though, and I knew that if I was going to change my mind, the sooner the better because although it may seem that we can be baby machines forever, we really can't. I'm really glad I've had more babies. Yes, it complicates life a little... but it also simplifies life, in an odd twist. It makes me focus on what's really important!

Even now, with six kids and feeling sometimes like life is going full-speed and I'm not quite keeping up, I would add another one -- or two -- to this beautiful mix of a family. Two, because I like even numbers. And because I would take twins again. Really!

I have a phenomenal support system built up - my mom lives with me, my sister lives two miles away, I have two girls who live in my basement and exchange rent for 12 hours a week of helpin' me out. I would say this is ideal twin-mom situation. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go ask for pills or anything to make multiples happen...

I'm grateful for my twins, and I want them to know that. I hereby publicly declare my love for them! How fun that they got to come to our family together, as a matched set! They are a joy. Their eyes are so bright and their smiles are so sincere. I'm so blessed to be their mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment