Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

In light of Mother's Day

I was asked to speak in church on Mother's Day a few years ago. Whoa... I'd heard so many women say that they just didn't want to show up to church on Mother's Day because they couldn't stand the guilt as they listened to the speakers dishing about how perfect their moms were.

I didn't want to be that kind of speaker. My mom really is perfect, and talking about her would definitely make other mothers feel guilty....

So I spoke about Mary, the mother of Jesus, instead. I don't know if that helped the guilt levels or not, but it helped me personally recognize how each of my children is also one of God's children and how he has entrusted them to me even though I'm merely - and severely - mortal.

I don't have any desire to wallow in guilt. How counter-productive. I'm well aware that I make mistakes, but I take comfort knowing that I rarely make them on purpose. I try to let my kids know that I am working on improving, and I ask their forgiveness as often as necessary (which is often).

The key to accepting myself amidst my imperfection is knowing that my children, though incredibly sweet and adorable, aren't perfect either. They need to see how I handle my missteps so they can handle their own faults & errors effectively! (Mary, the mother of Jesus, couldn't have that line of reasoning, since her son was, indeed, perfect. Oh well.)

So instead of wallowing in guilt, I choose to wallow -- and I mean really roll around and get myself covered -- in gratitude!!!

I am so, so, so, so thankful to BE a mom, even though it humbles me every minute of every day. What a wonderful blessing! What a joy!  What a thrill!

What an incredible power -- I GIVE LIFE. There are six beings on this planet who would not exist were it not for me. Mad scientists have spent their lives and genius futilely trying to accomplish what we mothers do with little-to-no effort (other than morning sickness and stretch marks... oh, and labor...)

So, I choose to celebrate mother's day -- absolutely about my mother! but also about myself and my chance to be a mother. BIG Thanks to my husband for making it possible, supporting me in so many ways, and loving me, even though I yell at his quiver full of kids every once in a while.

Hand over the chocolate!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment