Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

"Off" days

Ever since I discovered the awesome feeling of being organized, like having schedules and systems and routines, I have put the necessary effort into creating such structure and almost as much effort into following it.

And then there are days like today.

It was just "off."

What was planned didn't happen, and what happened wasn't planned.

Some of that was okay -- like when the neighbor boy who had just signed up to sell Kirby Vacuums didn't show up to do his demo. Really, that was okay.

But when I embarrassed myself -- and my daughters -- by getting confused about what costume to wear for the Homeschool Choir performance, plus the rain threatened to make my daughter's slight cold turn into something worse if she stayed and performed in it... this made me cry.

Waaaa-waaaa-waaaa -- somebody call the waaa-ambulance...

Luckily I was with my wonderful mother-in-law who just somehow knew that I needed a lot of mercy at that moment and graciously extended it to me. Plus she offered an alternate reality that included some of the structure that was lacking at that moment. I grasped onto it like I was grasping my kleenex (though I didn't blow my nose into it -- see... most analogies break down at some point... some sooner than others).

So, thanks, Grama Sue! And thanks, Michael, for not showing up for the Kirby demo. I needed the nap that I took during that time frame. And thanks to my husband for making sure that our date will still happen tonight -- although a little later than originally planned. And thanks to our babysitter for being flexible with her end-time for tonight's date...

Note to self: Focusing on the gratitude can really save me emotionally on "off" days!

No comments:

Post a Comment