Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Energy Drink Fiasco that Wasn't

My 12-year old son reported to me yesterday, as he paced around the kitchen shaking his hands, that he had drunk half of an energy drink.

He didn't seem to be confessing, just making conversation and possibly offering an explanation for his frenetic movements.

I only had a split-second to decide how to react. I didn't want to scold and be judgemental and cause friction. Why not, you ask? Well, mainly because this child is my oldest -- my first soon-to-be teen-ager -- and I want to keep communication open right from the start. I want him to always feel like he can open up without fear of retribution... There's sort of an art of diplomacy as a parent of one-who-wants-to-make-his-own-decisions.

So instead, I simply asked for more info: "Oh, an energy drink, huh? I've heard they don't taste very good -- what did you think?" I was kind of hoping he would say that's why he only drank half...

"I thought it tasted good, but so did Josie and she drank the rest of it."

"Hmmm. How many hours ago was this? Have you experienced a crash yet?" Just using an even tone of voice. Not wanting to cause alarm. Not wanting him to get defensive... Keep the eyebrows even - no scowling...

"Um, I don't think so. See how I'm all jittery? I think it's still affecting me. It's making me want to keep moving. Crash would mean I'd go to sleep, right?"

"Well, son, I personally have never had an energy drink, so I don't exactly know. I've just seen commercials that claim one product is better than another because of a lesser-crash-factor."

"Oh, yeah, I've seen those commercials too." I could see something in his eyes start processing his own body and how being "under the influence" was affecting him. Self-awareness is so important in situations like this -- where he can draw his own conclusions and not feel undue pressure. I was hoping he would ask why I'd never tried it, but he didn't. I decided to just keep talking.

"Also, I think that's why energy drinks are considered addictive, because someone doesn't want to experience the coming down from being on a high, so they drink another one... and then another one... and then another one..." I felt like I was slipping in some good logic without coming across too harsh. Getting him to think things through, allowing some kindly insight to seep in from his ever-lovin' Mama.

I am Clueless, and he knows it. But he also knows that I love him and want the best for him. I hope he'll take all of this into account -- including the reasons that I choose to remain clueless when it comes to addictive substances. He already knows them. He'll connect the dots. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment