Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Because BLAP for kids just isn't the same

Note: In yesterday's post, I introduced the concept of C.L.A.P. for kids -- an acronym that gives me some structure as I try to raise kids who are worthy of applause. Today, I'll go into a little more depth on the C part of the acronym... Chores.

I hate the word "chores." I'll bet most people do. It's just filled with drudgery that weighs you down the moment you think it. Ugh. Yet, there it is, the first word in my happy acronym CLAP...

The crazy thing is, in our house, we try really hard never to do chores. Instead, we take FLYLady's advice and we "Bless Our Home." However, when I was trying to fit everything (everything!) about raising children into neat little categories and ALSO turn those things into a fun, purposeful acronym, I had to allow the word "Chores" into the system so I could CLAP for my kids instead of BLAP... whatever BLAPping may be, it sounds flatulent, and I'm far too removed from my redneck days to go there.

So, for sake of the acronym, we do chores... but we try to get out of doing chores by using the term "Bless Our Home."
© Netris | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images

We have gone through various chore charts and systems -- what I've figured out is, no system works unless I do! Yup, that's MY job as the mom, is to enforce whatever system it is that's posted on the fridge at the moment. I have to rally the troops... although, recently I figured out that I could make "Kindly Inspect & Supervise Siblings" one of the day-child duties and let them KISS each other during the home blessing hour!

Don't tell my kids this, but on regular weekdays, I aim for Sloppy Success rather than Perfect Failure... (got that one from Hannah Keeley).  I leave the "be thorough" expectation for Saturday's BIG Bless Our Home.

I try to set a good example for my kiddos by whistlin' while I work -- although, really, I can't whistle, so instead I make up silly songs about whatever chore, errr, whatever way I'm blessing the house at the moment. Imagine what kinds of silly rhymes I have to come up with for "garbage" or "dishwasher?"

And when I can't bring myself to sing, I still ward off the grumpiness by turning my voice robotic. We all would love to have a robot do our chores, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment