Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

CLAP Interviews: Planning Ahead

NOTE: CLAP Interviews are one of the elements of implementing the CLAP acronym of Chores, Learning, Attitude, and Planning. If you click on the CLAP label to the right, you can read all about the CLAP system in all its glory! The P is for Planning Ahead, which is originally discussed in this post; in today's post, I offer some suggestions for discussing this element effectively with the kiddos.

I have a funny memory of middle school. My choir teacher was saying something about how attendance at the performance was required and we could not get a passing grade if we didn't show up... and then she ended her sentence with the word: "Tonight." 

I gulped. How had I missed knowing about this?

Well, honestly, as the pit in my stomach sunk to my toes, I knew she had probably mentioned it before... and I had just disregarded it as "sometime in the future, but since it isn't then yet, I don't need to worry about it!"

While I try to appreciate the positives of my brain's built-in "live in the now!" feature, I also acknowledge the need to re-program it a little to include looking into the future... it just seems that they aren't too compatible. So I carry around a planner and I write the schedule on the white-board and make other obvious efforts to think ahead, but I'm sure when my loved ones are focusing on my faults, this is one they moan about. And my habit of eating all their chocolate.

Anyways, since the lack of planning and preparation has plagued me, I hope to save my children from the pain of neglecting the calendar... and here are some of the questions I ask during CLAP Interviews to help them plan ahead!


  • What are some projects that you're working on for school? When are the due dates?
  • When is your next piano recital? How is your practicing going with that?
  • What kinds of belt loops are you working on for Webelos?
  • What are some books you would like to read? When will you make time to read?
  • What are some goals that you have to become a better person? How will you work on them?
  • Here are the birthdays coming up of your cousins/siblings/etc... how will you celebrate with them? (I love the trinkets my kids make to give to their loved ones!)

No comments:

Post a Comment