Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

C.L.A.P. Interviews

Note: C.L.A.P. is my happy little acronym to give structure to my maternal interactions with my kiddos... It is explained in some detail in any posts that have that label (this is the initial one). 

As a quick re-cap, C.L.A.P.is a great word to encourage my children in these four facets of their growth: Chores, Learning, Attitude, and Planning. More than being just a word, it is an action, and I actually do clap for them and they bow and it's fun! Even my one-year-old has an appreciation for applause and has learned to tilt her head in a mini-bow... adorabler than adorable, I tell you.

So, in previous posts (if you'd like to see them, click on the label on the right that says C.L.A.P.) I've set out my philosophy of why these particular areas of childhood are like the four food groups of character nourishment... but, you must be wondering, how do I "feed" the four food groups to my children? How do I create an appetite, so-to-speak, so that they'll want to C.L.A.P. for themselves even when mom's no longer around to run the program?

Oh, such a good question! It will take a couple of posts to answer it, and even then, it will always leave room for expansion based on comments and questions. Hey, remember, my goal is to write a book someday, and books are like, whoa, long, so gotta fill it up with good details!




If only I could have video-taped today. My oldest son and I had some alone time together -- rare, and getting rarer! We decided to spend some of it having a C.L.A.P. interview... Well, I suggested it -- and he agreed because after the interview is when he gets his allowance (although we don't call it that... but since it is a fairly well understood term, for now it will do).

TJ is 12 and getting really good at opening up during C.L.A.P. interviews. He'll listen to the question I pose and thoughtfully consider how to answer. This is good! He ends up with more allowance than if he shrugs and moans through it!

I usually only ask one or two questions for each of the acronym letters, and try to keep the total interview to less than 10 minutes.

Over the course of the next few blog posts, I'll share with you the questions that I pose and other items we talk about and I'll also tell you the alternate word for allowance, because I know you've been quite curious about that!

Right now, though, my three-year-old is needing attention. I'm sure you understand!!!  TTFN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment