Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

C.L.A.P. for two-year-olds

The C.L.A.P. system that I briefly introduced a few posts ago works pretty well in helping me channel my parenting efforts for my children ages 7-12. However, I currently also have a one year old and three year old -- average age: TWO.

Two-year-olds can't really do Chores (though they are the source of so many, many of Mommy's chores)...
They are still in that auto-Learn mode of life...
Generally speaking, their Attitude isn't up for discussion -- they're either tantrumming or they're not...
and maybe, just maybe they can look ahead enough to Plan for a snack after naptime...

So, this Clueless Mama has decided I need to make up all new meanings for the acronym C.L.A.P. -- and have them apply to ME and how I can effectively handle my little ones in their younger stage of life without pulling my hair out!

C - Calm Confidence
L - Loving Language
A - Attention! and activities
P - Persistence & Patience

When I was in elementary school, my sister and I had to walk a LOOOOOONNNNG ways to the bus stop. We had to pass Murf the Smurf.

Guess what? Murf was neither blue nor tiny. He was a German Shepherd. We had given him the nickname for our own benefit -- so that we could hopefully convince ourselves that we did not fear him. Because dogs can smell fear.

And guess what? Two-year-olds can smell it too! Somehow they know when I am feeling Clueless, and that's when they attack!!

So, just like I tried to use a method of fake-it-'til-ya-make-it back when Murf was barking his head off at us, I now-a-days tell myself lies about how I CAN HANDLE THIS CHILD. I am bigger, I am smarter, and I CAN MAKE GOOD CHOICES AND CARRY THEM OUT!

© Yarko12 | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images


Isn't it funny that at all other times in our lives, tests are administered
  1. after we've been taught the subject material and 
  2. by someone older and wiser than we are! 
Once we enter motherhood, however, our two-year-olds are testing us all the time!

"Will my Clueless Mama react the same way EVERY time I flush things down the toilet?"

I suppose that's where the "Calm" part of the acronym comes in... it takes SOOOO much practice, but I can see that when I'm NOT calm, whatever I'm trying to teach gets lost in my baby's concern over my temper tantrum. (The Rose in this photo seems so perfect to illustrate the Calmness!)

Calm -- stay calm -- count to ten -- use a robot-voice -- whatever it takes! And, no matter how Clueless I'm feeling, ACT confident enough to fool my two-year-old into trusting me to take care of the situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment