Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

C.L.A.P. at age two: Attention and Activities

Note: today's post continues the concept that two-year-olds need their own adaptation of the C.L.A.P. system, and this age that it is more about the mom than it is about the child! 

Two things come to mind when I think of the word attention.

© Postnikov | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
The first is from my four-year-stint in Marching Band during my teen years. When we were at attention, we were like those guards at Buckingham Palace! We weren't supposed to allow ourselves to get distracted by anything. We were taught to stand in a specific pose and no matter if we had an itch to scratch or if a bee just stung us or an earthquake was rumbling under our feet, we were expected to STAY at ATTENTION!!!

The second is the epidemic sweeping America: Attention-Deficit disorder. While I've never been diagnosed with this particular problem, I acknowledge that my brain has a hard time focusing sometimes -- in fact, my brother used to call me "Space-Cadet" because I would be wandering along in my thoughts oblivious to the conversation at hand. None of my children "officially" suffer, either, so I am definitely living up to my name as Clueless Mama on this subject.

According to Wikipedia, there is quite a bit of controversy associated with Attention-Deficit disorder. I will now add to the controversy by suggesting that our modern American lifestyle is creating the problem. We don't metaphorically stand at ATTENTION for very many of our activities anymore. We hustle and bustle in and out. We answer the phone, we text, we check email or facebook... We constantly have media, whether radio or TV or internet... So it seems to make sense to me that we have Attention-Deficit issues!

I have found great solace in activities like Yoga... have you ever participated, or encouraged your child(ren) to participate in this, oh, shall we call it exercise? or is it an art? or maybe even a form of worship?! I just feel like sighing Aaaaaahhhhhh when I think about it. I have a children's version on DVD that I am amazed with how it helps my children focus! AWESOME!

Another activity that I think builds the ability to stay at ATTENTION is reading. There's a cute poem out there -- oohh, here, I found it on this blog:

Richer than I you will never be-
I had a mother who read to me.
— Strickland W. Gillilan

It requires some discipline -- just like anything worthwhile. I confess that sometimes I still answer the phone when it rings during family reading. And sometimes we go a week or two without a good long family reading time. But in general, this is a habit that has served us well and I feel like all my children are good listeners because of it. Even the ones who roll around on the floor the whole time are able to make comments and apply it to life outside of reading time. And when that happens, this Clueless Mama gets another pat on the back!!!


We even give books for Christmas!
Our "Library" - the bean bags are a most important furnishing!


Catching up on the Car Classifieds! Reed, age 2 ish
Overall, it just seems to make sense that if we make an effort to pay attention, build attention, stay at attention, even under pressure of various distractions, then perhaps we won't have attention deficit... No guarantees, of course, but in the midst of tryin' out my theory, I sure get a lot of good snuggles and giggles and fun family memories!

What activities do you like to do WITH your young ones? How do you pay attention to them so that they'll build their attention levels?

No comments:

Post a Comment