Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Gimme an "S!" (the SMILE acronym)

As I was mulling over what I might say about the first letter in my "SMILE" acronym -- "Support," -- a greeting card came to mind about how good friends are like good bras... yeah, well, I suppose talking about over-the-shoulder-boulder-holders shouldn't be beneath me. I've talked about vomit! I'm a mom! Is there anything off-limits?

Actually, this little bantering in my own head about "what will people think?!" really gets to the root of reasons why we moms might NOT reach out and give *or get* the Support we need... We're too worried about judgements of our co-workers!

Think how nice it would be to come together after a long week of being in charge, running a household... We'd pile up a plate of refreshments (plenty of chocolate), hug each other and do that little kiss-in-the-air-near-your-cheek thing that's so endearing. We'd introduce ourselves, a little apprehensively:

"Hi, I'm Regan, and I'm a mom. It's been 12 years now. And I... still... make mistakes." The rest of you wonderful mom-friends would make sweet little noises that were like verbal pats-on-the-back.

Then we'd talk about one of the twelve steps...

Oooooohhhh, I just hit on another way to extend this blog! I'll make up a Momaholics Anonymous program! (Not that I ever worried I'd run out of material about mothering -- but this is BONUS that I'm creating *more* material as I go!!)

I pledge (repeat after me) to allow myself and the mothers in my life to learn from our mistakes in the safety and comfort of unconditional love in the no-judgement zone of my Mothering Support Group.

© Racnus | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images
I am so blessed to be able to list off several wonderful women (and the Main Man in my life) who make up my personal Mothering Support Group. Please, as you ponder the people who support you in your motherly role, list me, the Clueless Mama! I'm here for ya, gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment