Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Raising Children with an Eyebrow

I went to a funeral of a mother once, whose daughter was praising the mother's disciplinary methods. The quote that stuck out, largely because it's so pithy, is:

She Raised Us with her Eyebrow

Now, I have plentiful eyebrows. I have to pluck them so they don't grow into one big eyebrow. Here's a shot showing how they are naturally arched (don't hate me because I'm beautiful!)

In spite of my God-given eyebrows, I just do not feel like they give me any sort of edge when it comes to raising my children... in fact, I have to watch myself and make sure I'm not using them in a constant scowl.

Aha! Maybe that's a clue!

Maybe making sure *my* eyebrows are raised -- raised in delight, or in a welcome-home smile, or gratitude...

The more I think about it, the more I realize how important the raising of my eyebrows can be in contrast to raising my voice. Raising an eyebrow to show concern, like "Do you really want to continue making that mistake?" Raising an eyebrow of warning, "Try to think ahead about where your current actions may lead..."

I want to be like that mother. I never met her -- I was at her funeral to show support to her loved ones whom I loved. Thank goodness I was there to be inspired -- or raised shall we say?! -- by her eyebrows, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment