Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Eye of the Tiger Mommy

Remember that catchy tune from the Rocky movie, "Eye of the Tiger?" And then that book that came out that got so much attention, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother? We could do like Wheel of Fortune and mix the two together!

I confess, I haven't actually seen Rocky, nor have I read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother -- just a review here or there. The reason I bring it up is because I shall reveal here in this very blog post that *you* are lucky enough to be reading, one of the ways that I encourage my kids to be thorough in their chores (or, rather, in blessing our house).

I want my children to be thinking for themselves and not wait for me to point out all the ways the house is dirty. I think this is self-reflective, because for many years (as anyone close to me will be happy to tell you) I was unable to see messes. I simply was so absorbed in the present task (making more of a mess) that I didn't pay much attention or care whether or not a previous mess existed or needed to be cleaned.

So, hoping that my children will get a head-start in life and not have to be embarrassed into keeping a clean home, I had to 
  • FIRST, figure out how to keep a clean home myself (remember, I'm clueless!), and 
  • SECOND, figure out how to encourage and inspire and motivate and instill in my offspring the desire and knowledge to be tidy.

That said, I have noticed my cleanliness pendulum swings and sometimes we are not as tidy as other times. And that's okay. Really! I trust that there is an important purpose in allowing the kids to suffer from their messes sometimes so they'll be more able to appreciate when it is clean -- and perhaps slightly more interested in doing the cleaning... we can always hope!

After they've completed a job, they ask to have it inspected. Well, that's the order it is supposed to go in. Sometimes, though, when I go to do the inspection, I feel like I'm having to list off way too many clutter items or spots on the counter or mirror, or whatever. So, instead, when I ask if they've blessed the house, and they say yes, I say,

"Did you use your mommy eyes?"

They'll often go back and work again for a few minutes... and that's okay! They're learning how to *see* messes on their own and be their own little tigers! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment