Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Full Slate

Whew! What a day! Busy, busy, busy. To get a feel for it, take a deep breath and read the next paragraph as fast as you can:

BIG Bless Our Home; Attend a Lecture by a Newspaper Columnist and Enjoy the Luncheon Afterwards; Get a Load of Rocks from a Neighbor and Put Them In Our Yard; Drive a few towns South and Watch daughters perform in their choir; Work on Rocks again; Attend Board Meeting for Handmaidens of Virtue Summit (I'm the Ball Coordinator -- Bippity- Boppity- Boo!) Go on a Date with my Main Man!

Honestly, though, I like days like this. I like having a specific thing to get done -- or seventy-two specific things, like today.

Sometimes, the day feels whirlwindy because of scheduled events that my various responsibilities put on my calendar for me.

Sometimes, though, the day goes by fast and feels full because I've made a conscious effort to make the most of each minute on my own, not based on outside obligations.

A related concept I learned once -- in a housecleaning class (yes, this Clueless Mama had to take a class on that) -- is the idea that I always wake up to a full slate! There is always something to do, to get done, to work on, to clean or de-clutter, or ....

That could be a rather discouraging thought, especially since I've never been real good at the day-in/day-out, consistent, repetitive types of things that can fill up the otherwise empty slate.

However, as I've decided to embrace the truth of it, I think it's actually liberating. Because the consistency keeps things cleaner/more organized/less overwhelming -- and therefore easier and faster -- then I can spend time doing tasks that I deem a little more fun than housecleaning.

I'd rather be busy than bored! And I firmly believe that if I'm bored, it means I'm being boring...

I've come to love To-Do Lists -- I love to attack them and cross off as many as I can and consider it a victory! Sometimes when the day is getting away from me, I write down whatever-it-is that's been using up my time just so I can cross it off and give myself credit!

No comments:

Post a Comment